Hi there, welcome back to High Black Girl! On this blog we’re keeping it cute and securing the bag sis! This means that I cover a range of topics from personal finance i.e. What’s A 401(K)? to beauty i.e. Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Review. In today’s post we’re going to be focusing on keeping it cute with this 3 step way to build your own custom skincare routine.
Step 1: Cleansing
The foundation to any skincare routine is cleansing the skin. There are some many cleansers on the market it can be overwhelming to chose which one will work for you. As an oily acne prone girl I chose to double cleanse – this means I use an oil based cleanser first and follow up with a second cleanser.
Here’s a breakdown of the different type of cleansers on the market. I’m a firm believer there’s no such thing as a bad decision if it’s an informed one. So take the below information and chose the type of cleanser that’s best for you!
- Oil Based Cleanser
- This is great for all skin types and highly recommended for people who wear make up on a daily basis. The oil is able to breakdown make up more efficiently than other cleansers. My favorite is the Klairs Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil.
- If you don’t have access to an oil based cleanser using any type of household oil (coconut oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc.) on your face before cleansing will have a similar affect 🙂
- Water Based Cleanser
- These are most commonly known as molecular cleansers that are perfect for dry and sensitive skin. These cleansers do not need to be washed off. An example is Keihl’s Herbal Infused Micellar Cleansing Water.
- Jelly Cleanser
- Gel or Jelly consistency cleansers that are great for all skin types and specialize in deep cleansing pores. One of my favorites is this Belif Aqua Bomb Jelly Cleanser
- Foam Cleanser
- Cream Cleanser
- Ultra moisturizing cleansers perfect for people who suffer from dry skin. I have this Naturally Serious Major Moisture Gentle Cream Cleanser on my list of cream cleansers to try 🙂
For cleansers, I highly recommend keeping it simple. You don’t need a cleanser that also acts as an exfoliate or acne treatment or has AHAs. When it comes to skincare less is more. If you have any questions feel free to slide into my DMs @HighBlackGirl on Instagram or leave a comment below.
Step 2: Treatments
This is my favorite part! This is where you chose a custom cocktail of products to target your top skin concerns. I highly recommend using no more than 3 treatment products (we don’t want to do the most here!).
It’s also important to use combinations that are going to work well together and not cancel each other out.
Personally, my skincare routine is catered around brightening my hyperpigmentation and fighting acne. So my treatment products are:
While writing this I actually realized I had WAY too many acids/treatments in my skincare routine so this was a great reminder to practice what I preach. Less is truly more when it comes to your skin!
Now it may not seem like I’m using a lot of products but I am currently using the Kiehl’s Blue Herbal Acne Treatment Cleanser which contains Salicylic Acid 1.5%.
And on T days (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays) I am using the Some By Mi AHA – BHA – PHA 30 Day Miracle Serum to exfoliate and not using any treatments on those days.
I made this UNFORTUNATE mistake of not counting these products as treatments and as a result had a horrible purging and breakout experience. So don’t be like me! I recommend keeping your products simple if you can (and not having a cleanser that as doubles as a treatment!).
Step 3: Moisture + SPF
The last step to any skincare routine is locking in all the amazing treatment you did by moisturizing the sealing the skin. I am loving this Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream it’s thick creamy and ultra hydrating.
If you’re on a super tight budget I would recommend using this Alaffia Shea Butter to lock it all in. It’s a multiuse product that I currently use for my body and hair. This is hands down the best shea butter I’ve ever used! It’s melts in your hands like butter and the passionfruit scent is to die for.
As a black girl I grew up thinking that we didn’t need SPF. I was WRONG! While the melanin in our skin naturally protects us from the sun and while we may never suffer from sunburns the sun can STILL damage the collagen in our skin. So let’s layer on that SPF and keep our skin from sagging ladies!
For an SPF I highly recommend Super Goop’s Unseen Sunscreen. This sunscreen is the only formulation I had used that doesn’t leave any white cast OR terrible flashback in photos. It’s a bit on the pricey coming in at $34 but this also doubles as a makeup primer which helps to justify the cost.
Speaking of 2-for-1s a lot of foundations come formulated with SPF protection. I have this Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint on my list to try!
In order to start your skincare journey you really just need 5 products.
- An Oil Based Cleanser + Water Based Cleanser
- I highly recommend double cleansing with a cleansing oil first and then a water based cleanser. Especially if you have oily skin or if you wear make up!
- My favorite is Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil if you’re on a tight budget using coconut oil before your water based cleanser will have a similar affect.
- A Treatment
- A Moisturizer
- Make sure it’s something ultra hydrating! It doesn’t have to cost a million dollars either. Something as affordable as Shea Butter will get the job done.
- An SPF
If you want a second opinion on what products you should try feel free to DM me or leave a comment below. I’m more than happy to help in anyway I can but I am NOT a licensed esthetician or dermatologist.
If you have access to a skincare professional I would highly recommend seeking their professional advice.