Happy Money Monday gang! I’m really enjoying this new posting format. I haven’t heard any feedback so I’m going to assume y’all like it too. First off, I really just want to say I did not realize how much of a blessing it is to be feed breakfast and lunch in the office every day. Plus unlimited snacks! My grocery budget has been increasing so much due to Corona. This is BONKERS! But without further ado…let’s get into how much money I spent during week 17 of 2020.
- This is by far the most I have EVER spent on a grocery trip this year. Usually, I spend around $40-50 between Trader Joe’s and Whole Paycheck – oops sorry I meant Whole Foods for a week. But because of Coronavirus I find myself having to buy more food than usual. Plus I’m home in Michigan so I ended up buying home items that I otherwise wouldn’t need if I was still in Brooklyn. On this shopping trip I purchased:
- Fruit: Blackberries, raspberries, bananas
- Veggies: asparagus, spinach
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Chobani Yogurt
- Kombucha + La Croix
- Stew ingredients: vegetable broth, cannelli beans, leeks
- Home items: pillows, trash can, sheets
- Air filters (to put inside my home made face masks)
- ↓↓↓↓Actual footage of me aggressively shopping knowing I’m over budget ↓↓↓↓
- Since I’m staying in Michigan longer than I expected I opted to purchase some natural and organic shampoo and conditioner. Originally when I thought I was only going to be here for a month I was fine with using whatever old and chemical rich shampoo and conditioner I used in back in high school/college/when I used to live here. But heading into the second month I don’t want to keep using these chemicals in my hair.
- I normally use Rahua Voluminous Shampoo and Conditioner but she’s pricey! Plus I know that I have full sized bottles sitting in my Brooklyn apartment so I simply REFUSED to spend money on a product I already had. I searched the Think Dirty app and came across the brand Acure. The price was right for this all natural chemical free vegan brand plus I got a discount for ordering the both the Acure Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner SCORE!
- I accidentally melted my vaginal cups this week while sanitizing them. So I purchased replacement cups. I have been loving Lena Cups you should definitely check them out! I usually only purchase these once every year or two. Vaginal cups save you so much money in the long run ladies!
I also took FULL advantage of the Sephora sale, sadly, my items still haven’t shipped yet so the expense has yet to hit my account. This will likely be included in next week’s Money Diary once my items are shipped.
Credit Card Payments
- Zlich! Zero! Nada! I only pay these bad boys when I get paid. I’m considering switching to a weekly card pay off goal in hopes that it will help curb my spending. I just don’t want any negative repercussions such as not getting my full credit card points since I paid the balance before the spending period closed. What do y’all think?
- Again…zlich, zero, nada! My savings are automated and come out of my pay checks. So there will be an update here next week!
- I invest $20 every week into my Acorns account! This is my “future” investment account that’s….honestly for my future babies. Y’all. I’m not even in a relationship. #DontJudgeMe I’m just a hyper saver!
- There’s a $1 monthly fee for Acorns (which in my opinion is WAY too much) that also hit my account this week.
- Acorns is famous for their round up feature that rounds up the purchases from your credit or debit card and invests them into the market on your behalf. It’s a great way to build wealth and get your foot in the door of investing. If you’re interest you can get $5 on me for signing up here.
- I purchased a tripod and microphone to step up my Youtube Channel game. I’m considering this an investment because I’m working toward monetizing my channel in the future. Let’s say a prayer that Youtube Income Checks become a regular extension of my Money Diary in 2021!
- Also did I mention you should subscribe to my Youtube Channel??? It’s basically my blog but in video form.
Student Loans $50
- I am taking FULL ADVANTAGE of this deferment period curiosity of Corona. Thank you girl! I have reduced my student loan payment from $365/month to $200/month (aka $50/week) until I have paid off my accrued interest.
- Once my accrued interest is paid off I’m not sure what I’ll do next. Currently, I’m focused on building up my emergency savings account. My plan is to attack my student loans starting in 2021.
- I use ChangEd to round up all my credit card and debit card purchases to the next dollar and put this money towards my student loan payments. This is why I don’t use Acorns round up feature 🙂
- If you’re interested in ChangEd you can sign up here!
I hope you all enjoyed my money diary this week! You can see the graph below for a per category breakdown. Overall, I was about $50 over my budget as a direct result from pillows, trash can, sheets, and air filter Corona virus purchases. But in all I had a pretty good week this week! I resisted the urge NUMEROUS times to buy more things during the Sephora sale so it’s a win in my book.
I hope this post inspires you to begin tracking your finances! Do you have any questions? feel free to leave a comment below or slide in my DMs on instagram @HighBlackGirl